Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My doggie, a rescue 49 lbs., is shaking from all the loud

Customer Question

My doggie, a rescue 49 lbs., is shaking from all the loud booms! I don't have any doggie Prozac like I did for my other baby that died. I do have Xanax, .5 mg.(hardly ever need it, but have it on hand) Also, have baby asperin for have to take one every day. Also have Cymbalta, 60 mg., but it is in capsule form.
Can I give her anything to comfort her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm so sorry that Piper is reacting badly to the fireworks; I know it doesn't help that she's not alone!!!

Of the drugs you mentioned, Xanax is the one which I would typically suggest in this situation for my patients since it tends to take effect fairly quickly. While it tends to work best if given prior to a triggering event, it may still provide some relief from her anxiety.

The dose I'd recommend for a 49 lb dog would be 0.5 mg 2-3 times daily, as needed. It should be used cautiously in patients with hepatic or renal disease, narrow angle glaucoma and debilitated patients.

It may cause sedation which may not be such a bad thing under the circumstances.

Cymbalta isn't recommended for use in dog and aspirin won't provide relief from the loud noises. Xanax is the preferred drug.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Piper. Does the Xanax appear to be working for her..if you gave it to her, of course? Deb

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can I give her anything to comfort her?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

I'm afraid there may be a problem with the site since I did respond to this concern about your dog.

I'm going to recopy my response to you in hopes that if you'll be able to access it.

I hope this helps. Deb