Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Has something similar to ccups, shivers and can't seem to

Customer Question

Has something similar to hiccups, shivers and can't seem to get comfortable - miniature daschound
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dachshund?
Customer: Has something similar to hiccups, shivers and can't seem to get comfortable
JA: Where does the dachshund seem to hurt?
Customer: Doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain but is very restless
JA: What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Quito, 6 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Quito?
Customer: He was the runt of the litter and still small
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I am very sorry to hear about your pup Quito's hiccups and inability to get comfortable.

Puppies often get the hiccups, but even with hiccups they will seem to be otherwise comfortable.
Dogs with nausea or gastroesophageal acid reflux will seem to have the hiccups as acid reflux splashes up into the esophagus, but they are clearly uncomfortable. These pups will often swallow repeatedly and may lick things trying to soothe their nausea and acid burn. As they reflux that can lead to gagging and coughing or an inability to settle.
Shivering can be related to fever or fear, but it can also be a pain response. I think in Quito's case this is a pain response.
Possible causes of reflux include a change in diet, dietary sensitivities or allergies, or eating things that they should not like too many fatty table scraps or garbage, bones etc. Addison's which is a poorly functioning adrenal gland is another possibility for waxing and waning nausea. Metabolic organ failures (kidney or liver disease), pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease or even infiltrative cancers are possible causes as well.
Has he eaten anything he should not have recently (toy pieces, bones, garbage)?
Any changes in food or treats?
You can give him an acid reducers to try and settle his stomach. Either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. These can be used for a few days if necessary as they are very safe.
I'd also pick up his food and water for now. A couple hours after the acid reducer you can offer small amounts of water or ice cubes to lick. He's may be thirsty but we need to settle his stomach first.
No food for 12 hours. Small amounts of water only.
After his 12 hour food fast then start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 boiled white rice. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then start mixing in his regular diet and slowly convert him back over a 5 to 7 day period.
If his symptoms continue then he may need injectable medication from his veterinarian to get his stomach upset under control.
So watch him for continued symptoms even with the acid reducers, blood in his stool or vomit or a fever (more than 103.5F rectally), a tense painful belly or lack of appetite after his food fast. If any of those occur it is time to seek hands on veterinary care.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****