Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Small maltese was ran over by a bicycle on the neck a couple

Customer Question

Small maltese was ran over by a bicycle on the neck a couple of days ago, she has been walking slowly the first day with hunch back and the same is still going on but she is able to go up the stairs. Im confused of what to do. She isnt complaininv just very quiet. Eating and drinking fine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Poor lass!

ChiChi is very lucky here if she is still able to walk despite having been run over with the main pressure being on her neck. Now with this having happened, its not unexpected that she is slow, hunched and basically telling us that she is sore. In regards ***** ***** should be done, we'd rally want to have her local vet check her over to make sure there has been no lasting damage done and most importantly start dog safe pain relief (do avoid human ones as most are toxic and Aspirin isn't safe for trauma cases). If we can do that, it will counter her discomfort and should get her feeling back to normal. And any delay in having her seen and you can at least warm compress the neck gently to reduce any bruising or swelling from this. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )