Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have two dogs I have to leave home alone on 4th of July

Customer Question

I have two dogs I have to leave home alone on 4th of July they don't do very well with the noise what can I give them to help them be relaxed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?
Customer: not really but this is the first year I won't be with them. I can calm them down if I'm home
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Teddi is my Yorkie and Jack is a doxie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Teddi?
Customer: she's nearly 2 years old. weighs about 12 lbs. Jack is 7 and he weidghs about 18 lbs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There's nothing over the counter potent enough for your purposes. You'll need to have their vet prescribe a potent and fast acting benzodiazepine such as alprazolam which will act as an anxiolytic (anti-anxiety drug) and sedative. The prescription tranquilizer acepromazine can be useful in conjunction with a benzodiazepine or as a sole agent. Although it's not anxiolytic, at a high enough dose it will tranquilize pets to the point at which anxiety isn't an issue - they'll likely be asleep.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?