Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My little female Chihuahua left side below the rib cage is

Customer Question

My little female Chihuahua left side below the rib cage is swollen, and the right side is slightly swollen. She seems to be fine no troubles with her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
WHAT KIND OF INFORMATION IS THAT? i need at least some kind of answer to my $20.00 question dont you think?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tell me something? is the vet on lunch?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Laura.

The area below the left side of the rib cage contains her stomach. A stomach distended with gas and/or ingesta can appear as you've described. If significantly distended, it can cause the slight swelling under the right side of her rib cage as well. This is where the bulk of her liver lives as well and so an enlarged liver (hepatomegaly) can also cause swelling under the right side of her rib cage. I would find that unlikely, however, in an otherwise normal dog. I don't see a reason to pursue a reason for what you're seeing unless she began to act ill. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.