Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My dog had a tic bite we removed the tic 3 days ago the dog

Customer Question

my dog had a tic bite we removed the tic 3 days ago the dog was normal this morning 3 hours later cant use hind legs what can i do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog may be sick from a tick bite. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Can you take his temperature? If this problem with his hind legs is due to a tick infection he might have a fever, over 103. He will need to see a vet and get antibitoics if this is a tick borne infection.

Look for more ticks. There is a condition called tick paralysis caused by ticks where the dog gradually becomes paralyzed and it can start with just the back legs. If it is tick paralysis and you find and remove the tick, he will get better.

The hind leg problem could be from something unrelated to the tick, such as a slipped disc. Having him checked out by a veterinarian as soon as possible would be best.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Can I help with or answer anything else? How is he doing?