Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My male great Dane is bleeding from s penis. It is red and

Customer Question

My male great Dane is bleeding from his penis. It is red and enflamed at the tip. He had bladder stone two years ago when we first got him but has had clear exams ever since.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He was not neutered when we got him so he is still intact. He is 10.5 years old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 9 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your guy. What is his name? Do you feel that he's posturing to uriante and taking longer / straining to go? Can you see a wound on the tip of the penis?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No wound per say. Just very red and enflamed when you expose it. He is urinating a little more but not necessarily struggling. It has been hot here so we wrote it off to him drinking more.

Are you seeing clots of blood in the urine? Is the urine more red in general? Is he still eating / drinking well? Besides seeing the urine like this and him urinating more often, would you feel he's acting pretty normal?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He is acting normal. Every time I try to type a response the damn site keeps launching a pop up to sell me something. I haven't seen him urinate but my wife said it seemed ok when she walked him. I noticed him licking himself a lot and it was dripping blood from the tip.

I'm very sorry about the "pop ups"! I have no control over that. My goal is to help as best as I can and those things sometimes get in the way. That is good that your wife said the walk went normally. As far as this blood from the prepuce, here are my thoughts there. Could it be blood from an injury / lesion to the penis or inner sheath of the prepuce? Could it be blood from the prostate? Could it be blood from the bladder? These are the areas of concern. Could he have a urinary tract infection or stones back? The most critical thing would be if he was having blood due to an obstruction situation - a stone is back and blocking the urethra. The best thing that can be done is a recheck with your vet to have a urinalysis done and x-rays to screen for stones. They can also do a very thorough exam of the penis itself. The most emergent situation would be if he was posturing to go and not getting urine or very little urine out as this would dramatically tip the scales towards that obstruction.