Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has crusty scabs on the tips of her ears. - she's 7,

Customer Question

My dog has crusty scabs on the tips of her ears.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey - she's 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?
Customer: She has been in good health - she did have ehrlicia as a puppy but otherwise she's been a simple to care for animal.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long has this been going on for?

Is she very itchy?

Any crusty lesions on her elbows or hocks (ankles)?

What breed is she?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We noticed it today - not sure how long it has been present.She doesn't seem to be itchy at all, but she doesn't like me touching the tips of her ears where the lesions are.Ankles and knees are normal. She is a mutt.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried applying coconut oil to the area before seeking an answer here, also.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the information. Problems on the ear margins can be caused by a few things. Sarcoptic mange (scabies) is an important one, but they are usually very itchy. You may also see lesions like this from flies. They tend to strike and bite at the tips of the ears. Lastly, and the one I would be thinking more about, is a condition called proliferative thrombovascular necrosis. It is a condition that causes inflammation to the blood vessels and most commonly is seen at the ear tips. The problem is that a biopsy is necessary to get a definite diagnosis. This is how I would approach it. I would clip and clean the areas and start her on an antibiotic. I would also prescribe a topical steroid/antibiotic combination ointment. I may also recommend getting a pet insecticide gel from the pet store. If not resolving with that, I would recommend a biopsy, but I would be willing to try a medication called pentoxifylline, which is used for treating the blood vessel inflammation. It most likely isn't ringworm or another source of trauma due to it being on both ears (that is my assumption, let me know if I am wrong), but your vet may still want to rule out those issues and even get a skin scraping to make sure it is not scabies. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sounds like I may need to go into to the vet. Is there something I can try at home over the next few days until we can get into the vet?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

You can place a warm compress over the area for a few minutes and clean it with some soap and water. Dry it and place some Neosporin on it. You can also try getting some insecticide gel from the pet store. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also, we have another dog staying with us at the house over the next few days. Do I need to worry about anything being contagious?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Unless it is scabies or ringworm, which would both be unlikely, there isn't anything else I would be worried about spreading. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.
Hi Phil,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John