Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My nearly 11 year old dog (yorkie/spitz) has started pooping

Customer Question

my nearly 11 year old dog (yorkie/spitz) has started pooping in the house. Mostly wet or mucus poop. This has happened 2 times in a week
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If Watson' s stools at the time of his accidents are wet or mucusy, then we'd assume this is not a behavioral issue but that these abnormal stools either irritated the colon or caught him without warning. In regards ***** ***** we'd be most wary of dietary indiscretions but also low grade bacterial, protozoal, or inflammatory colitis. As well, inflammatory bowel disease would be another concern.

With this in mind, we can take some steps to try to settle these for him. To start, the rice is fine but you can feed this with a protein source like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. As well, to bulk up those stools and give him a bit more fecal control, you can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to these meals. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

As well, since often these can be related to imbalance of the good gut bacterial microflora, you can also start him on an OTC canine probiotic (ie Fortiflora). This can be added to those above meals to help support his gut and digestion. Or if he is very runny, then we could use a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones are ideal for Watson since they have that added bonus of a probiotic already in them. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, if the stools have been abnormal, then that is likely why he is having accidents. So, we'd want to use the above to try and counter that. Of course, if his signs linger, then we'd want to consider having a stool sample tested and a check up at his vet to determine which of the above is causing him bother so that we can treat and clear that for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.
Hi Colleen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Watson. How is everything going?