Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I think my miniature Schnauzer has a kidney infection and

Customer Question

I think my miniature Schnauzer has a kidney infection and the vet is closed until Tuesday. Is there anything I can do to help her? Home remedies, over the counter meds, etc. ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 5 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Oh, I am so very sorry to hear your dog may be experiencing urinary issues. First, if she has a history of kidney (not bladder) infections then this is a medical emergency. dogs with kidney infections get very very ill and require hospitalization with intravenous fluids and treatment to treat severe infections; so if you think this is really a relapse of a kidney infection then this is a medical emergency and you need to have her seen at your closest ER today.

If this is a bladder infection which causes increased urinations, straining and accidents in the house, then it might not be as critically an emergency, in that it doesn't require hospitalization to treat (an antibiotic +/- pain relief is usually what works), but the bad news is there is nothing over-the-counter that is going to provide relief. :(

You canNOT use any of the antispasmodic medications out there for people. They are potentially toxic in pets. Use of supplements like cranberry may aid in improving her bladder health but will not resolve her pain and urgency. This is really a tough situation. All you can do at home is to make sure she has lots of water to help flush out her system. If she is severely bothered with frequent urinations and straining, possibly blood in her urine, then I recommend have her seen on emergency. It is so much well worth getting her proper therapy for the next 3 days than to wait this out and for her to get worse (some can get sick to the point it moves into a kidney infections or just leads to nausea/vomiting)

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jodie Johnston,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey