Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 7 yr old yorkie who split her nail about half way

Customer Question

I have a 7 yr old yorkie who split her nail about half way down. It isn't bleeding but a little bit of the quick is exposed. She is limping. My vet is gone for the holiday weekend and I'm looking for advice on home treatment.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Have Angel stand with the affected paw in a pot containing an over the counter solution of chlorhexidine such as Hebiclens for 10 minutes twice daily. You'll find ithis in your local pharmacy. Chlorhexidine is a safe and effective antimicrobial even if licked and ingested. The goal is prevent bacteria from entering the nail bed where it can cause a paronychia - nail bed infection. In most cases, once the quick is exposed it's best to completely remove the nail sheath and allow a new one to grow. Curiously, a completely exposed nail bed isn't likely to become infected; a partially exposed one, however, is.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.