Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

I have a husky just diagnoised with lyme and she will not

Customer Question

I have a husky just diagnoised with lyme and she will not eat anything for the last 2 days .. how can I tempt her to eat as no vet avalible till tues next week
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

This may not be easy. I assume she is on the treatment (antibiotic called doxycycline) and therefore we have to try to figure out if her not eating is due to the bacterial infection or to the treatment. IF she is on doxycycline and she was my patient I would recommend stop for 24 hours. Her appetite should return to normal. If she is not on treatment, then I must ask why not?

If she was already done with treatment and now ill, then this may not be related to the lyme disease. It is still possible that her current symptoms have nothing to do with Lyme disease.

So, I will give you a few hints to try at home to tempt her to eat but if you have no success or her symptoms progress to include vomiting or diarrhea or profound lethargy, then she must be seen on an emergency basis this weekend.

If she was my patient and you could not have her seen or wanted to try something at home I might recommend you try:

1) Feed a bland people food diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day. As a protein substitution for the chicken you could alternatively use boiled ground beef or cottage cheese.

2) Give famotidine 20mg at 1 tablet every 12 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 months ago.
Hi Ken,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sophie. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey