Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My four year old female chihuahua has been very lethargic,

Customer Question

Hello, my four year old female chihuahua has been very lethargic, won't eat and seems to be somewhat disoriented. She's a little more active this morning than yesterday however she urinated while lying down right after I took her out this morning. Is this an emergency?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Daisy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?
Customer: She was spayed last year and gained some weight, we have a half acre that she is free to roam and have different plants/trees around that I'm wondering if she got into or could have been bitten by a bug perhaps?
JA: The Veterinarian's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: Thank you Pearl
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long has it been since she has eaten?

Any vomiting?

Anything you can think of that she may have ingested or gotten into?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's been almost two days since she has eaten, no vomiting but I let her outside and she just walked back in, laid down and urinated. We have recently laid a grass seed mixture on an area of my yard but I don't believe she was interested in it at all. We have a crab apple tree that has been producing lately as well, that she may have gotten into.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the information. I wouldn't consider it a true emergency, but I would recommend getting her seen by a vet ASAP. Going on 2 days without eating and with her lethargy is very concerning that something serious is going on. The sooner some of these issues are treated, the better the prognosis. Plus, we are getting into an extended holiday weekend, and I don't want this to continue through the weekend. Her condition may be far more advanced by then. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John