Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog had her first chemo treatment on Thursday at 5. She

Customer Question

My dog had her first chemo treatment on Thursday at 5 for lymphoma. She was great until early this am - now she wont leave her cage - eat - and is shaking a lot. I have meds for the nausea. Is the shaking normal or is she in pain ? Joanne
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Jessie. Do you know what the chemotherapy drug was that she got on Thursday? Has she had any vomiting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It starts with a C , I will try and look it up. No vomiting yet. Normal am bowel movement.

Carboplatin? Do look it up and let me know.

Cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan) is more likely.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is Vincristine 2mg injected
Prednisone 20 mg tablets
Cerenia 24 mg tablet

Ok. The Cerenia is an antinuasea medication used a lot of times with chemotherapy patients to help reduce the chance of nausea. It shouldn't be causing any issues right now and in reality, helping if she's potentially feeling nauseated. The prednisone is a steroid that is a very common part of the overall chemotherapy for lymphoma situations. It most likely isn't causing her current issue as the side effects with it are increased drinking, increased urination, and possibly panting. High doses over longer periods of times can have the slight risk of stomach ulcers, but this wouldn't be a big concern at this time. The Vincristine itself can cause some bone marrow suppression in some cases at doses that aren't that high. It can cause anorexia, vomiting and diarrhea. When given as an injection into the vein, if it leaks out, it can cause a lot of pain at that site and possibly tissue necrosis. With her not wanting to leave the cage, could she be feeling a little nauseated? That may be the case. Monitoring her for any vomiting or worsening of her situation would seem to be the next steps with her. She may be one that is going to be quiet and then get to her normal self with time. I would make sure to give the Cerenia when she is due for it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what does do you use for the Cerenia ?

The Cerenia is used to help reduce nausea.