Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Beau, Maltese/Yorkie, 7 yrs, 15#, diagnosed with diabetes

Customer Question

Beau, Maltese/Yorkie, 7 yrs, 15#, diagnosed with diabetes 9/15. 8u insulin am/pm, last BG 127. Now has developed cataracts in both eyes & visible in the last weeks. Virtually blind. Scared/insecure/seems depressed/bumps in to everything/appetite good. Vet is very negative about prognosis.
Question-surgery. Just need to know estimated cost. Will begin using 'Can-C' drops today to gradually improve vision-good reviews and for me, worth trying.
Your opinion/advise appreciated.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am so sorry to hear about Beau losing his vision from diabetic cataracts. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It sounds like you have good control of his diabetes, if his BG is 127.

Topical flubriprofen ointment may slow the development of cataracts, as might the supplement Ocu GLO. The Can-C drops are worth trying as well. I checked my resources, and a well know veterinary ophthalmologist ( she literally "wrote the book") has not found the Can-C to make a difference. I think these products may slow the progress of cataracts, but no drops or medication yet know restores sight that has been lost because of cataracts.

Surgery is the best way to remove cataractrous lenses, but it is expensive. Prices vary depending where you are. In my area, surgery for both eyes is around $5000.

I am sorry she is scared, bumping into things and depressed and that is understandable. However, blind dogs do learn to cope and can live a good quality of life if cataract surgery is not possible.

Please let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote; I did not hear back from you. Can I answer any more of your questions? Was this helpful?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Beau. How is everything going?