Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Jackrussell desexed femail is shaking and panting drinking a

Customer Question

jackrussell desexed femail is shaking and panting drinking a bit more than usual and is 9yrs old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Any change in her urination? Passing more or less? Going more often? Changes in odor or color?

Any appetite changes? Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
l have noticed these signs for the last 5 hours,she has been drinking a far bit. l tried to feed her she wasn't interested.
if i press on her belly she seams to be okyes she could have eaten something she wasn't suppose to
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if Polly is drinking quite a lot suddenly and refusing food, we need to tread with care. We can see increased thirst related to infection/inflammation but at her age organ disease (liver, heart, kidney), metabolic diseases (ie cushing's, diabetes, etc), and even cancer (especially those that elevate blood calcium) could also cause what we are seeing. Though if she also is off food and could have eaten something harmful, then nausea could play a role in what we are seeing.

Now if you have any idea what she got into and it was something dangerous, we'd want her seen now. Otherwise, we can try to soothe her stomach to see if we can get her eating and slow that drinking. With this all in mind, as long as she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider tempting her with a easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Overall, we need to tread with care if Polly is drinking more. Though if this has started suddenly and she is refusing food too, we can try the above to see if we can settle her stomach and thus calm her drinking. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, test a blood or urine sample to check organ function, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-nausea medication, antibiotics if infection is found, and symptomatic care if they do find one of our underlying concerns to get her back feeling like herself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )