Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She had some patty sausage that I thought she ate but I

Customer Question

She had some patty sausage that I thought she ate but I found it pushed up in the corner with a boric acid was like she was trying to get it out of the corner but it was coded for it acid now she's just laying there was like 2 hours ago she won't move she's been drinking like even on the pond like the little waterfall pond I mean drinking drinking like crazy and now she won't move and she follows me around everywhere she's like 70 pound pitbull mix that's 10 years old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Venus
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Venus?
Customer: I just adopted or like 6 months ago I don't have her background history
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much boric acid did she have?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Has she been passing watery urine?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Her gums are not as Pink as normal she went to put on her belly she just keeps sticking her tongue out like you know like trying to get her lips I guess kind of thing her nose is really dry and she's just really lethargic like just looking miserable I mean it could have been too much it was just like the sausage patty up in the corner which I thought she at 8 so maybe like when she was trying to get it you know because she's older her teeth on his good so I guess she was trying to get it like maybe it turned over a couple times and maybe she's like the boric acid off the sausage so late however much a sausage around because losses can hold you know I don't know how many times you looked at cuz like I said I thought you ate it until just recentlyp
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry I'm talk texting I thought she is eating it I said however much like a round sausage patty could hold I don't know how many times you turn it over like I said I thought she had to eat it until just now but she had been drinking out the pond and you know like really thirsty just like lying there and she follows me around all the time and she just like chilling and she looks miserablep
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Now boric acid can cause serious issues when our dogs have quite a bit. Small doses are associated with GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, belly pain, drooling, appetite loss) and her lip licking does make that a concern as that is a nausea sign. Though larger doses can lead to depression as you have reported, muscle weakness, changes to urine production, neurological signs (ie wobbliness, tremors, seizures), and can damage the kidneys. And I have to warn you that her increased thirst raises real worries about her kidneys.

Now unfortunately, if it has been ~2 hours since she ate this, we are past a point where inducing vomiting can counter this situation. As well, this type of toxicity doesn't tend to be treatable with activated charcoal (the doses needed are very high). Therefore, if she is drinking as you have reported, we'd want to have her seen urgently so her kidney function can be checked +/- IV fluids started to flush this out and avoid organ damage.

Any delay to having her seen, we'd otherwise need to let her drink but could also address her nausea and underlying GI upset. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, I am quite concerned about your lass. Her signs support nausea but the drinking makes me concerned that she has had enough to damage her kidneys. So, we'd want to be proactive here for wee Venus.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or

www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As soon as I take care of it as I will do the rate thing thanks again
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome,

That's fine, and just to note rating won't end our conversation, so no worries there.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You have been a big help thank you very much I will write you as soon as I'm finished with this thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome again & I am glad I could be of help. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much um I'm sorry I didn't get back to you until today I gave her the Zantac and then cooked her some fish and I she ate it and she's been drinking normally you know since I've had her she has some days that she just doesn't move around they're few and far between there because I stayed up until 4 a.m. night before and she stayed up with me following me up and down the stairs all you know the whole time today she's just been a lying around all day not doing anything but like I said since I've had her she's done that a couple times before think she just gets worn out but she's definitely better from the you know boric acid incident and I really appreciate your help a lot I can't figure out how to do the rating thing do you have any clue where I'm supposed to go to do that I'm sorry
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's probably right in front of me I just can't find it
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Thank you for coming back to do that (so many people forget). Now there should be some stars on the top of your page that you can click to rate (1 being poor, 5 be excellent). If you cannot see that you are allowed to give a number rating in type/text and customer service will sort that out for us. :)

Otherwise, it does just sound like she wears herself out with those late nights, so as long as they are only occasional and she is otherwise well, I'd not be worried. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.