Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Could you please help? The dog keeps dropping onto s every

Customer Question

Hi could you please help?
The dog keeps dropping onto his butt every few steps, keeps sitting down- something in his rear is clearly bothering him. When I go to touch the rear area he squirms and tries to bite (so I know it's painful or bothering him) He is a pomeranian. He keeps spinning and sitting and licking his back foot (not sure if he just can't reach his rear) Can I wait until morning to bring him to the vet or should I go to emergency?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Based on all the signs you have reported, I would be most suspicious that your lad has overly full anal glands. This can be from impaction, infection or inflammation of the gland. Often when this happens dogs will be sore in their back ends, sit abruptly, scoot/drag their bums on the ground and some will also try to chew the area. It is very sore for them and if left we could see the gland rupture (leading to a wound in the skin or blood in the stool). In this case, it is an urgent issue since it is so sore but not a true emergency. Therefore, if he is in severe pain, we could have him see at this stage. Though if he can settle, then you can wait for his regular vet to see him, express the gland, check for infection, and start dog safe pain relief to soothe this for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?