Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC

She torn her third eye lid on a fence and I 't have ride to

Customer Question

She torn her third eye lid on a fence and I don't have ride to vet so trying to see if anything I can do at home
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Her eye is swollen and red
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I am putting warm compress on it
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No she is 5 her name is Harley
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You should be good not
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 3 months ago.

My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years. I am very sorry for the delay in getting you an answer, as well as sorry that Harley is injured.

If her eye itself is not injured and there is not active bleeding, then a warm compress (like you have been doing) is a good idea. If you have sterile saline (like you would use for contact lenses, not the cleaning solution though), you can flush her eye gently to remove any debris.

I do not recommend any over the counter pain medications as they interfere with medications that your veterinarian may want to use.

I do recommend getting her into your primary care veterinarian or veterinary emergency clinic as soon as possible as long term damage is a high risk for any injury to and around the eye.

Does that make sense?

If I have not answered your question to your satisfaction, please let me know and I would be happy to answer more specifically or any additional questions that you have.

If I have answered to your satisfaction, please take a moment to rate me so that I may continue to provide and improve my services.

I hope Harley feels better soon!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you do you think I can make it til Tuesday or need to go after hours the bleeding has stopped and she is able to blink but I do see where it is cut

I would probably not wait until Tuesday, as she will likely need medication to prevent infection (or treat it if sets in) and possibly a pain medication as well. In some cases, it does require emergency surgery to prevent loss of the 3rd eyelid gland which can cause long term medical problems.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you I will get her in tomorrow am

Sounds good. If you have the opportunity, please let me know how Harley does!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will thank you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Excellent. You are very welcome. I hope you have a good and safe weekend!

Yes, that should definitely be seen, I am concerned that there might be an ulceration on her cornea as well. Poor baby!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok thank you so much

Once again, you are very welcome. Take care.