Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

We just had puppies 2 days ago and she is panting a lot to

Customer Question

We just had puppies 2 days ago and she is panting a lot to day
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: She had 3 puppies I didn't see the last placenta so I am not sure if it came out but I did check and couldn't feel anything there
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She is just panting a lot
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Just her panting she is very attentive it's her 3 Rd litter
JA: Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: She eats every 1 1/2 hours she is a small dog and eats a little at a time
JA: OK, abnormal eating. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: I was just worried about the panting she hasn't popped yet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Bella. I do have a few additional questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

1. Can you take her temperature?

2. Did you expect her to deliver 3 puppies? In other words, was an x-ray or ultrasound done prior to delivery of her puppies?

3. And, just to confirm, she's taking care of her puppies and pretty much acting like you'd expect her to after delivery...other than the panting, that is?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

Unfortuantely, I'm going to have to step away from my computer to help a neighbor who has some health issues but I wanted to provide a response for you and list the various reasons why a female who's just delivered puppies might pant....some perhaps more serious than others.

1. She could still have an undelivered pup which isn't likely to be viable. If you know for sure that she had three puppies to deliver, then this reason can be crossed off the list.

2. She could be running a low grade fever which is commonly seen after whelping for about 24-38 hours or a little longer; this is normal for some females. If you have a rectal thermometer, you can take her temperature. Normal is between 100 and 102.5.

3. She could be in the early stages of a uterine infection or metritis. The signs associated with this condition might include a foul-smelling brownish or reddish brown vaginal discharge, anorexia, lethargy, fever, decreased interest in the pups.
These dogs will need antibiotics for the problem to resolve.

4. Low calcium which is usually seen after small breeds have been nursing for a while (not just two days) but it's still possible. Supplementation with Calcium Tablets (available at most pet or grain stores) may be something to consider. You can give her Tums if you can't get to the store right away which may provide some benefit. The dose is somewhat empiric but 1-2 tablets are what I'd give.

5. Less likely, but still possible would be a retained placenta. This is actually a fairly uncommonly seen problem but I'll include it to be complete.

If this were my dog, I would take her temperature but wouldn't get too excited if it's high but < 104 degrees.
I would monitor the color and smell of the discharge she's likely producing. If it smells, then she should be seen by a vet pretty quickly.
I would supplement her with Calcium since nursing could create Eclampsia.

But if she's otherwise eating and taking care of her babies, then I might give it another day to determine if the panting disappears...which it most likely will. If it doesn't, then a vet visit may be prudent.

I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for having to log off before you had a chance to respond back. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Bella. How is she doing today? Deb