Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC

I have a dog who first did this last week, when I got home

Customer Question

Hi I have a dog who first did this last week, when I got home from being out, she greeted me then started shaking and panting... Usually if she does something bad she will act like she's been bad but then she's fine with in minuets. This was different... She was panting and shaking and she scared me to death! She didn't have a temp but all she wanted to do was lay next to me... So I laid next to her in a quiet room for a couple hours and then she was fine like nothing happened.. My brother let her out while I was away and said she started to act this way when she came in from being outside... The reason I'm asking is because it happened again today... Same thing, she started acting weird after she came in from outside... She eats as normal and has regular bowel movements... Please help me!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 3 months ago.

Hello Megan,

My name is***** and I will help you.

It almost sounds like she was scared by something.

Is she confined to a yard?

4th of July is around the corner and some dogs are terrified by fireworks. Remember that their hearing is MUCH MORE ACCUTE that ours.

Do either of these seem like possibilities?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, she's not confined and she's not scared of loud noises, she actually likes fire works! My brother watched her and she went to the bathroom and ate some grass and then came inside acting strange. I thought maybe something was wrong with her stomach but she just ate her food and hasn't vomited or had diarrhea... This is the second time this has happened.. The first time was worse because I was worried and it made her pant and shake more... this time I just ignored her and laid with her and now she is fine... I'm so confused

She is displaying signs of anxiety. The shaking and panting are typical.

Are you sure that her symptoms were the same both times. You saw it once and your brother saw something. Was it the same reaction?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she showing the same signs both times. I even confirmed it with my brother and he said the same thing.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The first time it happens was Sunday and then today... It just doesn't make sense to me that she would just now start to act this way.

It is also odd that she wasn't acting that way outside when your brother saw her, just when she came in.

Has she been in and out other times yesterday and today without this behavior?

When you said it happened Sunday. You mean yesterday?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
like I said the first time she acted this way was Sunday and has been fine, she goes out and runs around with my other dog and doesn't wanna come back in. She's usually a happy, playful, and outgoing dog
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No today is Friday, the first time it happened was Sunday the 26th
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 3 months ago.

Hello Megan.

My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years. I am very sorry to hear that Emma has been having some strange behaviors. I understand how scary that can be when they can't tell you what is going on.

There are a couple of things that come to mind when I hear scenarios like you have described.

1. That she has enlarged anal glands. The anal glands are located on the the lower aspect around the anus (if you imagine a clock, they would be located at the 4-5 and 7-8 positions). When these get enlarged, it can be very upsetting for dogs. The treatment is expressing the glands.

2. If there has been any changes in the weather recently that correspond with the dates that she had the episodes, sometimes, even when they have never had issues with it in the past, something happens and they are suddenly scared when a storm or even just a breeze comes up. I do not know where you live, so I don't know if this applies, but something to keep in mind.

3. That there is something that has scared her in the yard, such as another animal, that is making her nervous.

4. If she has any undiagnosed medical conditions, they can also present as anxiety, panting, and shaking.

It may help to record an episode if it happens again, taking into account everything that is going on - weather, time of day, noises outside, etc.

Please let me know if any of these things make sense to you or not. If you have additional questions, please let me know an I would be happy to address them.
If I have answered your question to your satisfaction, please take a moment to rate me so that I may continue to provide and improve my services.