Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My border collie appears constipated and not eating since

Customer Question

Hi, my border collie appears constipated and not eating since yesterday I have a glycerin suppository is that ok to insert to see if that gives her relief?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Border collie's name and age?
Customer: Laura and she is 11
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Laura?
Customer: She vomited up water several times yesterday but is keeping it down now and has been urinating. She has been well all her life this is unusal.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Laura eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I know of and my other border collie eats the same thing and she is fine
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Laura. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Laura and we need to consider anything from severe constipation leading to vomiting, to infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl, and if this vomiting continue, then you will need to get her seen by your local vet today.

Given your girl has been vomiting, it could actually be that Laura is just straining to poo due to oncoming diarrhoea rather than actually being constipated, and for this reason I would hold off from given any sort of suppository. Instead, try your girl with some wet/canned food now that her vomiting has settled and that she is a bit brighter. Also encourage her to drink plenty of fresh water. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth. You could also try adding some fibre to her wet food in the form of Metamucil (original) or psyllium husks and seeds.

For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate today as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the day, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the vet.

If you are confident she is constipated, then you can use a suppository like Microlax. You need to be very careful and lubricate the end of the nozzle if you do use this (get someone to hold her collar at the front end for you). This is often best left to your local vet or vet nurse however. As above, it is quite possible that Laura is actually straining due to a spasming colon rather than constipation however, given her recent vomiting.

Best of luck with Laura and hopefully she just continues to improve throughout the day today. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.