Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

Our lovely "doodle" dog .... golden retriever & poodle mix

Customer Question

Our lovely "doodle" dog .... golden retriever & poodle mix -- the small version; is constantly licking her peepee. It looks red and irritated. Lately sometimes when she sits her bladder seems to leak ...there is a small round wet spot on the sofa or the carpet sometimes when she stands up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the poodle's name and age?
Customer: Bella. 3 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: Today her peepee looks red and irritated
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Bella. There are quite a number of things that could be going on here with Bella to be leaking urine and constantly licking herself. In this instance the first thing to rule out here is a urinary tract infection. You will need to do this with your vet and I would recommend a visit with them this weekend if possible. Take Bella in along with a fresh urine sample. Here your vet will carry out a full physical exam, test the urine and send it away for a full culture and sensitivity. If a urinary tract infection is confirmed, the culture will also let your vet know which antibiotics are most appropriate for your girl. It sounds like she may also have a vulva infection as well - but your vet can take some cytology here (a swab) and have a look under the microscope to confirm this suspicion.

As far as the urine leaking goes, this could be due to the inflammation of her vulva, or bladder as as result of a UTI. We also have to consider whether your girl could have an estrogen responsive incontinence as a result of being spayed, in which case there are several drugs available from your Vet that could well help control this problem. Two very good drugs for this include Propalin syrup or another tablet called Incurin.

The next best step here will be to follow up with your local vet tomorrow and take Bella and a fresh urine sample in for testing. If these diagnostics were all normal, then your Vet could trial your girl on one of the incontinence meds mentioned above. Typically female dogs on a medication like Incurin , do very well and this will typically help stop the leaking within a week or two. Treatment is generally ongoing however.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.