Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is about 8 years old. She seems to have a pounding

Customer Question

My dog is about 8 years old. She seems to have a pounding somewhat irregular heartbeat. She also seems kind of lethargic.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Miley. She started this a few days ago. I thought it was hiccups at first. I gave her a small pepto and it seemed to go away a few days ago. Now my husband and I have noticed she is acting different and we can see her heart pounds or at least a kind of jerking.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Miley?
Customer: She a is dachshund, female and weighs about 13 pounds. She is a rescue we saved about 2 years ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

If you're able to detect a pounding arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat) don't discount that finding. Most caretakers aren't that perceptive. Have Miley's vet auscultate (listen to) Miley's heart at your earliest convenience because arrhythmias can be life-threatening. If ausucultation confirms arrhythmia, expect Miley's vet to recommend X-rays of Miley's chest and an EKG. More advanced testing in the form of an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) may be recommended in order to clarify the etiology of that heartbeat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.