Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is older and has had multiple infections in s mouth

Customer Question

My dog is older and has had multiple infections in his mouth (teeth. We plan to get his teeth cleaned in about 2 weeks. We are leaving town in a couple days. I know he needs an antibiotic but the vet is closed. I have 500mg amoxicillin available. He is about 70-75 lbs. would it be safe to give it to him twice a day?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jesse
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jesse?
Customer: Not really. He hasn't been eating as much and seems a bit tired. Other than that he is a great dog. (lab mix)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I think that's reasonable. Dosing at 500 mg twice daily now and after his oral care for another week is prudent. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.