Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Just asked after sooty, vomit and blood in stool today, but

Customer Question

just asked after sooty, vomit and blood in stool today, but he is drinking water
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

Great to hear he is drinking water. Keep encouraging him to drink plenty of water, and small amounts of his kibble. How are his mucus membranes and the refill time?

Let me know if you have any further questions as well.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
seem good thanks
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.

Excellent. As per my previous message, there really are quite a number of possible causes for this vomiting and bloody stool. Given Sooty's age a full check up by your local veterinary surgeon tomorrow morning will be very important. There should be a vet in your area that is open on Saturday mornings (most are from 9 - 12 at least). Here I would recommend a full physical exam as well as a senior blood test. If he seems dehydrated, then they can keep him in (if possible and if there will be staff present for the day/overnight) for intravenous fluids and medication to stop the vomiting and protect his stomach. It is possible that more diagnostics such as an abdominal xray or ultrasound are needed here to rule out other more worrying issues, but that will be decided after a physical exam and senior blood test.

All the best with your boy, and keep him nice and comfortable. Let me know if you have any other questions or issues in the night.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sooty. How is everything going?

Pet Doc