PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog got in a fight with my brothers dog but not to bad of

Customer Question

My dog got in a fight with my brothers dog but not to bad of injury except for his whole leg swelled up. Then two little pin size drain holes formed & he kept licking it. We tried to keep watching him but within an hour he got it to a hole about an inch in diameter. I can see around inside his bycep (persay). I have been giving him some pain pills are local vet tech sold me & I have been putting triple antibiotic plus pain relief cream on it. I also wrap it at night but the wrap always slides down & have a cone on him. It has been almost been a week, what can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

David, full skin thickness bite wounds need to be addressed with a systemic antibiotic. Teeth innoculate bacteria under the skin; the wound(s) then eventually fester resulting in bite wound abscesses. Topical treatment in the form of triple antibiotic ointments or pain relievers aren't helpful. Mokie's leg may need to be opened up and drained if significant amounts of pus have already formed. Antibiotics have trouble penetrating into pus. Don't hesitate to have Mokie attended to by his vet. He's only going to worsen if a systemic antibiotic isn't on board and he may well need surgical drainage and debriding (removal of devitalized tissue) a week after being bitten.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is open. The hole is at least an inch in diameter. I can see in his leg. I want to know what I can do about the big hole.

The hole needs to stay open to establish drainage. When drainage isn't necessary any longer, it will contract closed. It's a mistake to close over an infected bite wound. His vet will use that hole through which to flush the wound thoroughly with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is no bite wound. I didn't say any thing about a bite wound. I am not satisfied with this conversation.

No worries. I'll opt out which will give another expert the opportunity to enter this conversation. Please don't respond to me which will dissuade others from entering the conversation.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hi, David. I'm sorry that your conversation with Dr. Salkin did not go as you would have liked.

Can you attach a clear photo of the wound?

How can I best help you today in regards ***** ***** matter?