Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian

Had a small kitchen issue a few days ago, stove was turned

Customer Question

Had a small kitchen issue a few days ago, stove was turned on by accident and a plastic bowl melted. there was some haze and smelled horrible. The dogs and cats were inside when this went on. Its been 72 hours and they seem fine should i be concerned
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: they are med large brreds
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
otherwise they are healthy. i am just worried because plastic can be so toxic

Yes, I understand your concerns, as fumes from burning plastic can contain harmful toxins. The most immediate concern would be the development of airway irritation which can lead to bronchitis. If they have not developed any sort of cough or breathing abnormality at this point, they are probably going to be OK in this regard.

Unfortunately, there is not much in the way of research or literature regarding long-term effects of plastic fumes in companion animals, but some reports a link between cancer and plastic fume exposure in laboratory animals. I would keep a close eye on appetite and energy for the next few weeks, as there is the possibility for a delayed type of reaction. To be on the really safe side, you can schedule an examination with their veterinarian soon, so they get get checkups, and run some basic lab work to make sure nothing is out of the ordinary.

I hope this has helped. Please let me know if there are any other concerns I can address for you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they are not coughing what should i look for in way of breathing difficulty. They have been panting quite a bit but its also been extremely warm here. They are eating and drinking normally, still wanting to go for their walks etc.