Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian

She has a lot of mucous in her chest. How can I help her get

Customer Question

she has a lot of mucous in her chest. How can I help her get it out. She is recovering from kennel cough
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: munchkin 3 yrs
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: I used honey before and it would make her throw up a lot of the mucous
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the dog is recovering from kennel cough and is taking antibiotics. She has had extreme mucous in her throat and chest.
When she eats or drinks it makes her choke and gag a lot. I can hear the water passing through it when she drinks. I gave her a spoonful of honey a few times and it made her throw up and get rid of a lot of mucous. But is that bad for her ? Also should I give her Benadryl to help clear it up ?

The honey may help soothe the cough. One thing that really helps clear mucus is steam. When you are showering in the morning, keep her in the bathroom with you. The steam will help moisten the phlegm and she will cough it up more easily. The benadryl is not really recommended at this point, as it can dry the secretions and make it a little harder for her to cough it up. Do you have any other questions for me at this time?

Hi! Just wanted to see how Munchkin is doing?

If you would like to accept my answer, kindly press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!