Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC
94403761

My dog is nursing a small litter (2). The pups are 4 weeks

Customer Question

My dog is nursing a small litter (2). The pups are 4 weeks old and tonight my dog has one teat that is extremely swollen and hard. It is tender, but she allows me to touch it. Her rectal temp is 101.8 and she otherwise acts fine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 5 months ago.

Hello Tiffany

My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years. I am sorry to hear that Zoey is having an issue. What exactly is your question this evening?

It sounds like she has mastitis (an infection of the mammary gland). Please prevent the puppies from nursing from that teat as it can make them sick. Also, do not give any more aspirin as it can cause internal bleeding. You can alternate between a warm and a cool pack on the teat. I recommend going to your primary care veterinarian in the morning as she will likely need antibiotics for the infection.

If this did not answer the question you have, please let me know and I will answer that one more specifically.

If this did answer your question, please take a moment to rate me so that I may continue to provide and improve my services.