Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital
94509965

The other day I felt a little lump on my German Shepherds

Customer Question

Hi everyone,
The other day I felt a little lump on my German Shepherds back and I took a picture and asked around. It kinda looked like a stretched airbubble. It was smaller than the size of a dime. I asked friends of mine, who have had experience with dogs, what they thought it might be. (Mine has never had ticks or flees or anything so I was worried). The people I asked, said it was probably just extra skin. Well today.. a little less than a month later, when I did my daily inspection, I felt it A LOT bigger. I pulled up the fur to see what it was and now it's a small bloody hole. (What I was feeling that was big, was the dried blood on his fur). I know it's small, but I'm really worried. Would someone please be able to let me know what they think it might be? Thank you.
-Sasha
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 6 months ago.

Hi Sasha,

This is Dr. KV. Can you upload a picture of Dallas' lump?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This WAS his lump. I haven't taken one of the hole.

Would it be possible to take another picture of the area now?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm actually already inside and it's dark outside. Let me see if I can. Dl you have an idea of what it might be, with that other picture I showed?

It may be a type of growth that commonly occurs in older dogs called a sebaceous adenoma. It is difficult to see in the picture, but that would be my best guess.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just went to take the picture. He moves too much, and you cant see the hole because of the blood. I guarantee there was a hole though.

That is actually a very good picture. I would keep this area clean and look for any recurrence of the original growth. If something does grow back, then that fits with an adenoma. Adenomas are benign growths, so surgery is not necessary unless it is bothering Dallas. Your vet would be able to determine if this is what it is by doing a small biopsy with a local anesthetic.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
by keeping it clean, he should be fine unless it grows again? Would neosporin work? We did that with my guinea pig once. Did he just mess with it to where it eventually popped?He's a very hyper dog. We only took him to the vet when he was a puppy for his shots. My mom's coworker gave him to us because someome left him in a box on her doorstep with his umbilical cord and his eyes shut. They raised him as a baby so he's super hyper, even for being old. I'm scared to take him to a vet because he doesn't do well around people. He's extremely protective and that's why I decided to do this instead. Do vets have a way to prevent him from hurting anyone? Would I just have to put a muzzle on him until they put him to sleep? If I do end up needing to take him, do you have idea of how much it will cost?Sorry for all the questions.

No problem with all the questions...that is what I'm here for! :)

Yes, keeping it clean and monitoring for recurrence is a good idea. No need for neosporin, he will be more likely to be bothered by that and we don't want him to lick it off.

Sometimes growths like these get flaky and fall off on their own.

He may be better at the vet than you would expect. It never hurts to try. Vets and vet assistants have ways to calm and handle nervous dogs. They may muzzle him, but sedation is not always necessary. It is also very important to get him examined since he is getting older, to ensure he is healthy.

The vet may be able to answer more questions during the exam...exams run anywhere from $30 to $65 depending on where you live. Look online for coupons on yelp or groupon...many vets post on those websites and that could save a lot of money.

If a trip in to a vet does not work out, there are excellent mobile vets that can do house calls. This can be less stressful for some dogs.

Please feel free to reach out if I can assist you further.

With appreciation,

Dr. KV

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Awesome! You've just saved me from a mini heart attack! I appreciate your time and help. Have a good night!

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I apolgoize,
one more question... How do you reccomend cleaning it? Just wiping it with a wet cloth gently and removing all the dry blood?

Yes, a warm wet wash cloth...you can just hold it there for a couple minutes.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Great, thank you!