Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital
94509965

My female Toy Aussie has been throwing up and is just

Customer Question

My female Toy Aussie has been throwing up and is just listless, keeps going to water bowl and pawing in it and takes a few drinks. She has not been outside of the house or front yard all day. Has 4 puppies 3 weeks old. Could she have got in contact with a Toad Frog?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 5 months ago.

This is Dr. KV. I'm here to help with Raci tonight.

I cannot tell you if she came into contact with a toad, but it sounds like she is not feeling well. Has she been eating and drinking? Is she nursing her pups still?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is drinking a few laps and pawing in the bowl but has not eaten anything, and is not paying any attention to her pups the are 3 weeks old and still nursing.

Ok, thank you for the additional info. I am concerned. Her pups need to nurse since they are still so young. Raci is probably very dehydrated since she is nursing, not drinking much, and vomiting. She also may have low calcium and blood sugar which can be life threatening...these are serious issues that commonly arise in small nursing dogs. I recommend taking her to your vet for a blood test and rehydration.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I already knew that and am supposed to take her to my vet in the morning. Was just wondering if there was anything I could do tonight.

I would encourage her to eat, but not force her to eat. Offer a bland diet like boiled chicken and rice. If she is shaking, tremoring, pale, weak or continuing to vomit, she may not make it til morning. You will have to watch her very closely tonight. The pups will need replacement formula if she is not nursing them.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Have tried the chicken and rice along with her usual diet. She is not shaking or weak, Gums normal color and is not vomiting anymore. Just not feeling well and wants me to hold her.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She has gone ni there now for the pups to pnurse. I think it was a toad.

That is great news....very relieved to hear she is nursing!

If you have any on hand, some dogs love meat-flavored baby food. Also cottage cheese.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She has been eating cottage cheese all along but so far hasn't wanted any tonight. I stay pretty informed about my dogs and usually know what to do but this is the first time for her and her personality so I was concerned. I will continue to watch her but think it was a Toad frog.

Good luck with her and the pups. Please feel free to reach out if I can assist you further.

With appreciation,

Dr. KV