Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I have a 2 year old fixed male Doxie. Also have s Mama who

Customer Question

I have a 2 year old fixed male Doxie. Also have his Mama who is in heat. He hasn't bothered her, but this evening, they were in yard and I heard all kinds of yipping, they were hooked up and he was dragging her trying to get free. he pulled them apart. now his penis is very red and swollen. He was only walking backwards 1st hour and drowling.
I gave him a cool bath and wrapped him in his Bankie. He is resting (2 hours now) in my bed. I am concerned as it is still very swollen. Anything I can do? Can I give him baby tylenol or Ibprophen. Should I take him in to ER Vet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Peanut. So his penis has been out now for 2 hours? It isn't going back into the sheath?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it has been out about 4 hours now

Ok. If the penis is still out of the sheath at this time, then it needs help to be put back in. This is something that can be very serious as the tissues there can become injured from being engorged this long. Sometimes what happens is there is hair that gets drug into the sheath and this serves to not let it go back in. Once it has been out and engorged, it can actually be very challenging to get back in. The best thing I can recommend is to get him to your vet or an ER clinic so they can sedate him and use cool compresses to get the tissues to go down and to help get the penis back into the sheath. At a clinic with all the tools and equipment there, it can be a bit challenging as that penis is very edematous and swollen.

I'm not set up to field a call at this time. Can you let me know what questions you still have?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank You

I'm hoping that this guy can get some help / relief here soon.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank You , trying to find an ER Vet