Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My yorkie, 8lbs, has a UTI. I realize that we should not

Customer Question

Hi. My yorkie, 8lbs, has a UTI. I realize that we should not treat animals with human antibiotics....yadda, yadda....I'm in a pinch and out of town. My dog has no known allergies, female, 4 years old. I have augmentin 875mg, penicillin 500 mg, clindamycin 150mg, keflex 500 mg, all on hand. Looking for appropriate safe antibiotic and dosage, please.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Shotzie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Southie?
Customer: No. I had other yorkies and are aware of the symptoms. I'm going to try to get her to the vet Friday but with the holiday, not sure of their availability. If it's not a bladder infection, that's fine...I'm not concerned an antibiotic will hurt her anyway...(unless she's allergic) harm either way...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

We use the same antibiotics in dogs and cats as humans take. Augmentin is a good presumptive choice for a UTI. It's going to be tricky dosing it down for an 8 lb dog, however, because the recommended dose is 6 mg/lb twice daily - practically speaking, 50 mg twice daily (1/20th of your 875 mg Augmentin twice daily) for 10-14 days. Keflex is a good choice as well at a dose of 10 mg/lb twice daily for 10-14 days (practically speaking, 1/5 of your 500 mg Keflex twice daily). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?