Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

Our dog Mia was brought to a veterinarian about a week ago

Customer Question

Our dog Mia was brought to a veterinarian about a week ago with baLance issues and having trouble standing or walking. They said it was probably idiopathic vestibular disease and it would run it's course. She now seems worse and is now rolling when trying to walk. She can't control her head, and now seems like she is giving up. Could it be something else?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is 13 years old and is a pomapoo.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry that Mia is having this problem. I would agree that in most cases sudden balance problems are idiopathic vestibular disease. It is also true that this condition can worsen before it improves. That doesn't mean we can't do anything though. The addition of meclizine or dramamine (1 human sized dose 2x daily) can help control some of the symptoms. If this is vestibular disease it will go away but can take weeks and sometimes months in severe cases.

However you could also be right, it could be something else. At this age, tumors in the brain, an inner ear infection or a stroke could also cause these problems. The difficulty is that these conditions require an MRI or a CT scan to diagnose! I would take her back to the vet at this point. Sometimes changes in subtle symptoms like the direction of the eye movements, or subtle nerve sensation changes can give us a clue that something else may be wrong. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan