Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She ate a box of scrubbing bubbles flushable toilet brush

Customer Question

She ate a box of scrubbing bubbles flushable toilet brush refills. :(
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: It was one of my Newfies, pretty sure 6 yo female named Zuzu.
JA: How old is Zuzu?
Customer: 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zuzu?
Customer: possibly the 9 year old male but i doubt it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

According to the MSDS sheet on that product, the ingredients aren't significant toxins but can cause irritation to the mouth, throat and stomach and abdominal discomfort. It's not life-threatening as evidenced by its LD 50 - the amount needed to kill 50% of those ingesting the product - which was an egregiously high "greater than 5,000 mg/kg". Inducing emesis is not recommended; instead, diluting what was ingested with copious amounts of water or a favored fluid such as milk, cream, broths, or bouillons would be prudent. How much of the packaging would you estimate was ingested? It, too, presents a problem; in this case, difficulty passing it through the GI tract and small intestine obstruction.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.