PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog has developed swelling on her nd area it is not on

Customer Question

my dog has developed swelling on her hind area it is not on the joints but forward of them they seem to be fluid filled one bigger than the other took her to local vet she didn't have a clue what it might be so gave her anti-inflams to see if that helps she is otherwise well full of energy but does favour one leg when going up steps any ideas please
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hi Diane.

Do you have any pictures to share of these areas of swelling?

Any x-rays taken thus far to see what they might be?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
have attached some pics hope they help she has one on each side this is the bigger of the two and when prodded seem filled with fluid
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no xrays as yet

It's hard to tell what is going on in this area. It looks like this is under the skin, is that correct?

Can you attach a photo that shows where the swelling is (you pointing, perhaps) and a whole picture of Maddie? It's difficult to tell what and where the swelling may be.

Has a fine needle aspirate been obtained of this area yet? Just oral meds? If just oral meds, any improvement?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
its under the skin no aspirate yet if no improvement by monday they may sedate her and take a sample
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hope this helps

Thanks for the additional information.

Given her age and the location, I would be curious to know if this is a lipoma or a 'benign fatty tumor'. They often appear very well defined (think softball cut in half and laid against the skin). However, other times they are more diffuse in appearance with softer margins. Many of these can soft and fluidy and some of them actually do have fluid surrounding them.

I think your best bet is going to be with the fine needle aspirate of finding what this mass could be. If anything other than fat cells are found, your vet may want to send the sample off for an out-house cytology. If this is a lipoma, chances are monitoring is all that will be needed unless the area begins to cause her undue problems with motion. Most of these reach a certain size and stabilize but they can also become quite large with time. Sometimes surgery is needed, sometimes its not. If this is a lipoma, given its location, I doubt surgical intervention would be needed unless it grew to a much larger size.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Hi Diane,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maddie. How is everything going?