Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My cat got out 3min and chewed on a piece of or from licking

Customer Question

My cat got out for approximately 3min and chewed on a piece of weed or from licking her feed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: CAT got weed B gone on feet twelve hrs after applying by getting out the door. She got diarrhea....will it destroy her liver?
JA: How old is B?
Customer: Four
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about B?
Customer: Happened Sunday and is her normal self but I am so worried she is damaged...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, there are no studies involving cats and Weed B Gone. The only animal studies involved rats and revealed that it took an egregious amount (greater than 5,000 mg/kg) to kill 50% of the rats that ingested this product. This implies that Four is going to remain safe particularly because she hasn't demonstated any symptoms of toxicity to date. According to the MSDS sheet for this product "Specific target organ toxicity (single exposure) is not available." and so I can't confirm that Four's liver hasn't been damaged. This can be done by having her serum liver enzymes ALT, AP, and GGT checked by her vet.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
TX your words seem reasonable and I am harboring alot of guilt...

Thank you. There's a very good chance that Four will escape this dietary indiscretion unscathed. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?