Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 10 lb dog just ate at least 3 of my prescription prenatal

Customer Question

My 10 lb dog just ate at least 3 of my prescription prenatal vitamins. The brand is Prena1 pearl. I have called my vet but they are at lunch. She seems fine but I am wondering if I need to rush her to the vet? Please advise.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat these?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
30 minutes ish. And to clarify on the number... She probably had 3 but no more than 4. She clawed them out of the packaging. Can't believe it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if you give me a moment, I am double checking the zinc/iron levels for this.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Zinc is 7.5 mg per softgel and iron is 30mg per softgel.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now most of the ingredients are no worry, but the iron is borderline. So, if she had more that 3 (since she is small), then we'd be best to err on the side of caution. To do so, we can induce vomiting just now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Afterwards we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, most of this is safe for her but the iron is a borderline dose. So, if she had 4+, we could see signs of lethargy, vomiting or diarrhea with blood, cramps, and tremors. So, we'd be best to err on the side of caution here to avoid any risk.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )