Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog is biscuit and she licked shrimp juice yesterday when

Customer Question

my dog is biscuit and she licked shrimp juice yesterday when we were heading shrimp . she is a Chihuahua weighs under 1 pound full grown year in a half . today she acted like her back legs were paralyzed and shes vomiting and refuses to eat and wont stop shaking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Biscuit?
Customer: she has only had first or second shots
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about sweet Biscuit's condition...I know this is scary especially since she is so tiny!

Most likely she has suffered a digestive disturbance from the shrimp juice that was too rich for her and is not feeling very well. The best thing you can do for your sweet Biscuit is to follow these instructions:

Fast Biscuit for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy. It will be hard to give her a small dose but do the best that you can.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting and other issues have resolved, then wean her back onto regular food. If the they persist especially during the fast, take your sweet gal to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal blockage or Pancreatitis. These tiny chihuahuas are so fragile and their digestive tract is also very fragile. If there is any doubt, take her to your vet.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is she gonna die

Oh my...I sure hope not but do not take any chances because they are so tiny and fragile. Better to be safe...

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is Nexium the same as Pepcid
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
she is refusing to eat rice
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
she hasn't ate all day she only drank water

No, Nexium is not the same and too much for your little one. it is ok for her not to eat because that will be the fast. You might want to give her a bit of Karo Syrup or sugar water to keep her strength up. Pepcid is the best for Biscuit....if she continues to go downhill, take her to your vet.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
should I give her 1 quarter 4 milligrams people zophran to keep her from throwing up
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is peptobismal the same thing as Pepcid

No, that is too risky. Pepto Bismol would be better. Give 1/4 teaspoon every 8 hrs to stop the vomiting.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok

Hang in there...I hope little Biscuit feels better tomorrow...