Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

We just got a puppy from my mother in law she was born april

Customer Question

we just got a puppy from my mother in law she was born april 22 and is a yorkie.. the previous owners in which she purchased the dog from didnt inform her of the dog having worms. well she took her to the vet got medicine for her and now she is having a runny stomach with a mucus like blood when she goes to the bathroom. what could be causing the blood?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the puppy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Maggie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

The hematochezia (blood in the stool) in such a young puppy is usually due to a parasite called coccidia. This is addressed best with the prescription drug ponazuril or, less effectively, with the prescription antibiotic sulfadimethoxine. Roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms as well as the protozoan Giardia are also common causes of hematochezia. Can you tell me which medicine was prescribed by Maggie's vet, please?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?