Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog was awake all night last night. He is panting, has

Customer Question

My dog was awake all night last night. He is panting, has thrown up and appears to have the chills. Seems like he can't get comfortable. Won't lie down for more than 30 seconds.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, he didn't eat anything unusual.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jack. He's 11.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?
Customer: He had Addison's disease.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Is his breathing rate quicker then 30 breaths in a minute?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Is his Addison's disease stable?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but as Jack has Addison's disease, I do want to reply in case you are having issues doing so. Now hopefully you aren't seeing any of those more serious signs I asked and hopefully he hasn't gotten into anything he should not have. In any case, since he is Addisonian, we do need to tread with care as we can see sudden electrolyte imbalances and sometimes GI signs related to “Addisonian crises.” Of course, we can also see these signs with unrelated bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items.

With this all in mind, we need to be careful here. If his vet is open, it would be best to have him seen since we do have Addisonian concerns. That way they can check his electrolytes +/- start fluids if there is any imbalance. Otherwise, any delay and provided he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE ( If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing and his underlying Addison’s condition does make this situation potentially more serious. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above by the time his vet is open; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out an Addisonian crisis, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )