Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My small whippet might have eaten an asperin. What should I

Customer Question

My small whippet might have eaten an asperin. What should I do? Make her throw up?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Blossom. What size aspirin tablet was this? How heavy is your girl? How long ago could she potentially have ingested this?

I will wait to hear from you.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
325 mg
21lbs
1hr
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please send answer, or cancel
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there - I am typing up an answer now and will have this with you in 1 minute.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, just send answer or cancel
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Thanks for that. As you may know, aspirin is used in small quantities in dogs, with a typical dose rate of 5 - 10 mg per pound of body weight. Your girl has had just over 15mg per pound of body weight, which while unlikely to cause any severe symptoms, could potentially cause an issue. As it has only been an hour, it would be worth inducing vomiting in this instance. There are several ways to induce vomiting, however 3% hydrogen peroxide is the most effective. As it has been about an hour - she will likely vomit this up pretty easily. You can read about how to induce vomiting in dogs online here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

You can then try her with some bland food (cooked, boneless skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice) for a few days, and encourage her water intake. Hopefully the tablet comes up in which case you don't have to do anything else. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Let me know if you need any further help here.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please respond now
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

As you may know, aspirin is used in small quantities in dogs, with a typical dose rate of 5 - 10 mg per pound of body weight. Your girl has had just over 15mg per pound of body weight, which while unlikely to cause any severe symptoms, could potentially cause an issue. As it has only been an hour, it would be worth inducing vomiting in this instance. There are several ways to induce vomiting, however 3% hydrogen peroxide is the most effective. As it has been about an hour - she will likely vomit this up pretty easily. You can read about how to induce vomiting in dogs online here:

You can then try her with some bland food (cooked, boneless skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice) for a few days, and encourage her water intake. Hopefully the tablet comes up in which case you don't have to do anything else.