Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

She's a small chihuahua and she's running around with her

Customer Question

She's a small chihuahua and she's running around with her tail between her kegs and biting her back side. Her tummy is also bloated.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tink 8 yrs old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tink?
Customer: She hasn't been fixed.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How long have you been aware that Tink's stomach is bloated?

2. Is she showing any other sorts of symptoms { No matter how minor } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She doesn't seem to drink a lot and she hasn't pooped much in the last few days. She's been bloated for awhile we thought she was just over weight. I've kept her in a gated area for the past few weeks. She does like to eat paper and wood chips on occasion.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

The bloating you describe is actually quite a cause for concern, this in turn can be uncomfortable and this could account for the other symptoms you are seeing. You see if her stomach appears noticeably distended and stays that way then there is a chance that you are dealing with a symptom called ascities. Ascities is by definition an abnormal build up of fluid in the abdominal cavity and this will give a distinct bloated abdomen type appearance and this is by no means unusual in middle aged and older dogs.

However be aware that ascities is a symptom not a disease. If I wanted to list some of the more common causes of ascities I commonly see it would be :

1. Heart disease.

2. Liver disease including tumours

3. Kidney diseases.

4. Protein losing enteropathies.

Given the above is accurate all you can do is to have Tink examined by your vet again as soon as you can arrange it so you can come to some form of definitive diagnosis and then take it from there. I am sorry I cannot suggest any home remedies in your particular case, unfortunatelyvthere is just nothing you can do on your own in terms of home remedies where ascities is suspected.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Rami,

I am just checking back in to see how Tink is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect ascities ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?