Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 8 yr old dog seems completely fine-eats well, is active,

Customer Question

My 8 yr old dog seems completely fine-eats well, is active, eyes are bright-but she will come up off the floor abruptly and turn to look at her side/rear. Does not lick or touch, but then rolls onto her back. If she were a horse I'd describe it as colic. We went to the vet this weekend, and they determined constipation, gave her a shot, and she felt better immediately. But symptom has returned today. It looks as if she is having belly spasms that pass rather quickly.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 3 months ago.

My name is***** and I will help you.

I'm sorry it has taken so long for anyone to help you. Sometimes it gets crazy here.

I want you to try some psyllium in her food. This is available in heath food stores.

Give me her weight and I'll tell you how much to give.

Are you still worried about Ky? Please let me help you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you...constipation is a symptom, not the cause of the problem. I am familiar with psyllium, as own many horses. Laxative probably isn't what I need. I want to know what could cause stomach spasms, especially in a resting dog. My vet gave her an injection of cerenia, and I thought that odd as Ky has not been on a boat! (by the way, Ky weighs 99 lbs) She seemed to feel better immediately, but 4 days later showed abdominal discomfort again. Today is Friday, and I have not observed any spasms as of now. Ky is a ranch dog, and catches and eats ground squirrels. She most likely got one that didn't agree with her. Thank you for writing back, but I think I may have wasted your time and my $. I just get desperate when I see my dog in distress, and wanted to see if a 2nd opinion would help. But, thank you again.

You might want to try some Omeprazole (Priosec) which is used for intestinal ulceration. Since it is so well tolerated you could give her 20 to 45 mg once daily. You may have used this on your horses.

I'd try it for a week. If that doesn't help I would have a barium series done on Ky to see there any abnormalities.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This something I will consider.

Spasms usually mean pain.

I hope this would work. But clear it with your vet because he is familiar with Ky's medical history.

We can continue this dialogue - even after the rating. I am here to help you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** been very nice.