Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

He's a Yorkie 12 to 14 lb he has a hot spot on s rump end he

Customer Question

He's a Yorkie 12 to 14 lb he has a hot spot on his rump end he naws all the time ! No fleas ! Also on his back legs. Can I give him children liquid Benadryl for relief & how much?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds at all he's fine eat well drinks well happy too ! Just itching has had baths in the best soaps for dogs skin
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bentley he's my grandson ūüėĽ
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: I took him off of chicken for about 8 mo but his itch problem seamed to have started about a month or two after he had 2 teeth removed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Can you look at the label of the benadryl and tell me how many milligrams of diphenhydramine in each mls?

3- How old is he?

4- Is he currently on any medications?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
9 yr
On no meds

It is 12.5mg for each mls or 5 mls?

Friend, in response to your question, if there is 12.5mg of diphenhydramine in each 1 mls then you can give him 1 mls every 12 hours. If it is 12.5mg in every 5 mls then you can give 5 mls every 12 hours. In addition, I would recommend the following for the hot spot:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter