Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 23 years. Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I have a dalmatian and I realized about 2 days ago that he

Customer Question

I have a dalmatian and I realized about 2 days ago that he had little bumps everywhere on him and I assumed it was an allergic reaction to his blankets so I took the blankets out of his crate and gave him benadryl and he still has those bumps. The bumps are all over his back
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dalmatian's name?
Customer: Emerson
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Emerson?
Customer: He also seems to be itchy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Candy replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

I am sorry Emerson has you worried.

How much Benadryl did you give and how often?

Anything new in the environment, such as carpet sprays, febreeze, air fresheners etc?

Does he seem itchy?

Has he spent more time outside then normal?

Is the hair raised in the area of the bumps?

Is there anyway you could send a picture so I can see exactly what you see? If so you can use the paper clip icon on the tool bar.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I gave him a MG for every pound he is so 2 20MG tablets.No besides the new laundry detergent I washed his blanket with.He does seem itchy and he's outside a good bit, nothing more than usual though.Yes his hair is raised where the bumps are thats how I noticed them.I added 2 pictures I hope you can see it.
Expert:  Candy replied 7 months ago.

Thank you. Please give me just a moment to review the pictures and type up your answer.

Expert:  Candy replied 7 months ago.

Wow he is Handsome.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, they could be hives but it could also be a reaction to something like mosquito bites, gnats or even ant bites if he got in to an ant hill. In some cases a bacterial staph infection can cause this as well.

If he is itchy lets go ahead and treat this like an allergic reaction. You can use the Benadryl. This is dosed at 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight. In cases like this what we would do is give this at 2mgs per pound for the 1st and 2nd dose. This can be given every 8 hours. Drop down to the 1mg per pound for the 3rd and additional doses. Use this for 3 days.

If he is reacting to the new laundry soap we have to remember he could react to everything that was washed with that including your clothing.

If he does not clear up after 3 days of Benadryl, gets more bumps or is so itchy that he is uncomfortable I would have him seen by a vet. It is possible he may need stronger medication such as steroids or an antibiotic if he has developed a bacterial infection.

I hope this helps give you some direction and he feels better soon.

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating . Rating indicates that you are finished with this session and prompts Justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today. I am not compensated for my time until you provide a rating.

Please note that while rating does suspend our conversation so I can assist other pet owners, it does not close out your question. You can come back at any time for follow up at no additional charge.

Candy

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay I will definitely give him some more benadryl after dinner! Thanks so much
Expert:  Candy replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome. Give him a good pet from me.