Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 3 year old female Havanese. Shie is urinating very

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old female Havanese. Shie is urinating very frequently and doesn't drink that much to warrant all her peeing.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ruby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ruby?
Customer: No. She doesn't appear to be sick. She just finished playing ball outside but was constantly stopping to pee. But she wasn't drinking anything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is the volume of urine that comes out less than normal?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
not very much. She just started this a few days ago. No medical conditions or symptoms
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hard to tell how much actually comes out.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I already paid

Friend, the history and symptoms you are describing are consistent with a urinary tract infection. You see, the increase in frequency to urinate is because she has an infection that is causing irritation (inflammation) of the urethra (tube connecting bladder to vagina). When the urethra is inflamed it gives the feeling of having to urinate, this is why she is going more frequent; the increase in frequency does not allow the bladder to accumulate enough urine and only produces a small amount of urine every attempt. Other possible causes could be bladder stones. She will need to be seen by your family veterinarian to rule out bladder stones and start her on oral antibiotics.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.