Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.
92155571

I do have two afghan hound, one of the two broke her two

Customer Question

I do have two afghan hound, one of the two broke her two legs in two different time but all in not even a year. I just learned from breeder that Afghan Hound have very fragile bones. My girl is 10 years old. I have an other one 5 years old, I knoec but is there something I may give her to protect her about this problem. Thanks,
Johanne
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your dog's troubles. It great that you are being proactive with your girls and I'm sorry to hear about the previous broken bones.

Bones are comprised mainly of calcium and in smaller amounts, phosphorus and magnesium. Any high quality dog food should contain adequate levels of these nutrients, but in your girls' case you can add supplements for additional amounts. Cottage cheese and yogurt are good sources of calcium. Yogurt has the added benefit of probiotics as well. You can add a couple tablespoons of either daily with a regular meal. However, you can overdo the calcium and cause problems as well, so don't feed a dog food that is high in calcium and add the cottage cheese or yogurt, do one of the other. A regular, adult formula with the added cottage cheese or yogurt should be fine.

Exercise is also important for strong bones. It helps maintain healthy weights and can strengthen the collagen matrix that makes up the bone's structure. Keeping them both lean and trim will reduce stress on the bones and prevent injury. You should avoid strenuous exercise such as jumping and twisting that could reduce bone strength.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!