Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a senior pit he has trouble walking with s back legs

Customer Question

I have a senior pit bull he has trouble walking with his back legs since he is so old bUT I recently noticed that on one of them he has a hole the size of a tooth. I'm sure it wasn't our other dogs that did it he never let's them get that close. And it is red and swollen around that area
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I also have a photo I'm attaching
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the excellent photo! It does appear to be an infected puncture wound or laceration. It needs to be explored visually by his vet possibly needing sedation to do so. If no foreign body can be found in it, it can be flushed with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine, left open to drain, and a systemic broad spectrum antibiotic prescribed for 7-10 days.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there anything I could do to try to remedy it at home? He's not easy to get to the vet

You can flush out the cavity with over the counter chlorhexidine (Hebiclens in your local pharmacy) twice daily. If you have an antibiotic - even human - at home let me know and I might be able to give you a dose for it.